Every generation is different from the last, and Gen Z is no exception.
Why should you care? They will soon have more spending power than they currently have, and if you can get them to be loyal to your brand, they will be spending with you for many years to come.
Gen Z (those born between 1997-2012 and are currently aged 11 to 26) is the first generation to grow up with social media as an integral part of their lives. They’re more digitally savvy than any previous generation, and they’re using social media in new and innovative ways. Here are some of the key ways that Gen Z is using social media differently:
1. Focus on Visual Content
Gen Z is more likely to consume and create visual content than previous generations which explains why platforms such as TikTok and Instagram are so popular with this age group. Gen Zers also prefer short-form video content to long-form text-based content. If you are a brand looking to tailor content to this demographic, look to make short form content that captures the visual imagination.
2. Authenticity Over Perfection
Gen Zers value authenticity over perfection on social media. They’re more likely to follow and engage with creators who are genuine and relatable. For businesses, this means that creating an image of being “perfect” may actually be alienating your audience.
3. Social Consciousness
Gen Z is a socially conscious generation that cares about issues like climate change, social justice, and mental health. They’re using social media to raise awareness of these issues and to connect with others who share their values. Gen Zers are also more likely to use social media to support causes they care about. They’re donating to charities, signing petitions, and using their voices to make a difference. So shout about causes important to your brand, it could build more advocates.
4. Privacy Awareness
Gen Z is more concerned about their privacy than previous generations. They understand more about what they are sharing than their Millennial counterparts were at their age, choosing to not share information with apps when able, and are more aware of the risks of social media. They’re more likely to use privacy-focused social media platforms like BeReal.
Gen Z is using social media for a variety of purposes, including:
- Entertainment: Social media serves as a platform to indulge in videos, music, and games.
- Education: Gen Zers utilise social media for learning new topics and connecting with experts in their respective fields.
- Information: Social media updates them on current events and gives insights into diverse cultures.
- Shopping: They can explore new products and brands through social media platforms.
Gen Z’s Social Media Use is Impacting Modern Businesses
- Learning Financial Literacy: Many Gen Zers are using social media to learn about investing, saving, and budgeting. They’re following creators who share financial advice and tips.
- Finding Careers: Gen Zers are more likely to use social media to find jobs than previous generations. They’re following companies and recruiters on social media, and they’re applying for jobs directly through social media platforms.
- Starting Businesses: Many Gen Zers are using social media to start their own businesses. They’re using social media to market their products and services, and they’re building relationships with potential customers.
How Can You Reach Gen Z Audiences?
If you’re a business that wants to reach Gen Z on social media, there are a few things you can do:
- Be Authentic: Gen Zers can spot a fake from a mile away. Be genuine and relatable in your content.
- Create Visual Content: They are more likely to consume and engage with visual content. Create videos, images, and infographics that are interesting and informative.
- Be Socially Conscious: They care about issues like climate change, social justice, and mental health. Show your support for these causes in your content.
- Protect Gen Z’s Privacy: Be careful about the data you collect from Gen Z users. Make sure you have their consent before collecting any data, and be transparent about how you will use that data.
- Create Valuable Content: They are using social media for a variety of purposes, including entertainment, education, information, and shopping. Create content that is valuable to this audience, and they will be more likely to follow your brand and engage with your content.
Gen Z is using social media in new and innovative ways. They’re more focused on visual content, authenticity, and social consciousness. They’re also more private and using social media for more than just connecting with friends and family, which means that brands have a chance to stand out.
As an expert marketing agency, with over 20 years experience, we have seen demographics change over the years. If you feel like you need expert marketing to target your demographic, then get in touch with Brave’s specialist marketing team to reinvigorate your brand.